Amethyst and sterling silver earrings with faceted oval amethysts. Measurement of earring from top of shepherds hook to base of earring is approximately 40mm long. Amethyst ovals are 20mm x 15mm.
Supplied in a gift box.
Shipped first class with Royal Mail.
Amethyst is February's birthstone and gets its name from the greek word ametusthos meaning without drunkenness or not intoxicated. There is a legend of the wine god Bacchus who poured his wine over a maiden who had been turned into white crystal by goddess Diana in order to save her from Bacchus's tigers. The wine then turned the white crystal to a beautiful purple which resembles the gemstone we all know as Amethyst. Ancient Greeks and Romans would drink from amethyst goblets believing it would render the wine powerless to intoxicate. Amethyst, therefore, has always been believed to prevent intoxication and over-indulgence. Its also said to be a powerful aid to creative thinking, spiritual awareness and healing and combat insomnia.
Caring for your jewellery
• All jewellery is best stored in individual boxes or soft bags. This prevents scratches and also in some cases lessens tarnishing. Silver jewellery will benefit from being kept in a sealed, clear, plastic bag with an anti-tarnish strip enclosed.
• Chlorinated water causes surface damage! It is best to remove all jewellery before using swimming pools, hot tubs, etc.
• Spray hairspray, perfume, etc. before you put on your jewellery as these can also cause damage or, at the very least, leave a residue which will make metals and gemstones appear dull.
• Also avoid contact with domestic cleaning products.
• All silver tarnishes in time despite how it is stored. To clean your earrings, use a silver polishing cloth - a regular wipe over the silver with the cloth should keep them looking fab.